[Dnscheck-dev] Filter not working

Anand Buddhdev anandb at ripe.net
Tue Jan 28 13:54:33 UTC 2014

On 28/01/2014 11:49, Anand Buddhdev wrote:

> Ah, got it. IO::Socket::INET6 is not installed on this system. I build
> RPMs of dnscheck, and RPM is generally clever at figuring out all the
> dependencies of a package. However, IO::Socket::INET6 is not a direct
> dependency of dnscheck, but an indirect one by way of Net::DNS::Resolver.
>
> Grr. This is annoying. I will adjust my RPM spec file and list the
> dependencies explicitly, and repeat this test. I'll let you know how it
> goes.

Hi Calle,

I adjusted the dependencies in my package, and now it pulls in
IO::Socket::INET6, and the checks work properly.

I have one observation about the dependencies. One of them is
List::MoreUtils. When I installed the standard version that is found in
the EPEL repo of CentOS, it was versin 0.22, which does not work with
DNSChecker, because DNSChecker wants to use a function not found in it.
I built my own copy of version 0.33 of List::MoreUtils and installed it
on my server, and DNSChecker works well. So I suggest you update
Makefile.PL and also add a minimum version number for this module.

Back to the tests and filters. So now I have managed to lower the level
of NAMESERVER:NOT_AUTH of ns.ripe.net from ERROR to WARNING.

The other error which commonly occurs is DNS:SOA_SERVFAIL. I added the
following filter:

filters:
  'NAMESERVER:NOT_AUTH':
    - args:
        - ns.ripe.net
      level: WARNING
  'DNS:SOA_SERVFAIL':
    - args:
        - 193.0.9.6
        - 2001:67c:e0:0:0:0:0:6
      level: WARNING

However, I now get an error message from DNSCheck:

Use of uninitialized value $s in string ne at
/usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl/DNSCheck/Logger.pm line 200.

This error is repeated 4 times. But the message level remains at ERROR
and is not downgraded to WARNING.